A FEW FACTS ABOUT ALGERIA….
Official Language: Arabic
Religions: 99% Sunni Muslim
- Size: 2,381,741 sq km
- Population: 38,087,812 – 73% of population is urban (+2.5%/yr)
- Per Capita Income: $7600
COMPARED TO US²
- Size (Alaska): 1,717,854 sq km
- Population (California): 38,041,430 – 79% of US population is urban
- Per Capita Income of US: $49,800
LABOR FORCE BY OCCUPATION³:
- Agriculture: 14%
- Industry: 13.4% – (petroleum, natural gas, petroleum products)
- Services: 72.6%
- Unemployment rate: 10.2% (2009)
COMPARED TO US
- Agriculture: 1.2%
- Industry: 19.1%
- Services: 79.7%
Life expectancy at birth: 73 years
Mortality: Infant 15/1000 live births (2012); Maternal 97/10,000 live births (2010)
Literacy rate for young adults (ages 15-24): male NA female NA
Algeria is a former French colony which became independent in 1962. Over the next 20 years, the government became increasingly authoritarian. There was a civil war between 1992 and 1997. Since 1999, there has been stable leadership, and progress with respect
to economic and political reforms which was accelerated by the period of general unrest in northern Africa in 2010.
¹Statistics are from The CIA Factbook.
³Statistics are from The CIA Factbook.
*Statistics are from the World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL
**Statistics are from the World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL