A FEW FACTS ABOUT BOTSWANA….
Official Language: English, Setswana
Religions: 7% Christian, 21% none, 6% Badimo
- Size: 581,730 sq km
- Population: 2,127,825 – 62% of population is urban (+2.1%/yr)
- Per Capita Income: $17,100
COMPARED TO US²
- Size (Texas): 696,241 sq km
- Population (New Mexico): 2,085,538 – 79% of US population is urban
- Per Capita Income of US: $49,800
LABOR FORCE BY OCCUPATION³:
- Agriculture: NA – (meats)
- Industry: NA – (diamonds, minerals, textiles)
- Services: NA
- Unemployment rate: 17.8% (2009)
COMPARED TO US
- Agriculture: 1.2%
- Industry: 19.1%
- Services: 79.7%
Life expectancy at birth: 53 years
Mortality: Infant 41/1000 live births (2012); Maternal 160/10,000 live births (2010)
Literacy rate for young adults (ages 15-24): male 94% female 97% (2010)
Botswana is the former British Protectorate of Bechuanaland which became independent in 1966. It has functioned as a democratic republic with competent leadership since then. Botswana is largely a desert region and is very sparsely populated. It has made steady economic progress and is now one of the more stable and productive countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
¹Statistics are from The CIA Factbook.
³Statistics are from The CIA Factbook.
*Statistics are from the World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL
**Statistics are from the World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL