A FEW FACTS ABOUT BURKINA FASO….
Official Language: French (o), Sudanic languages
Religions: 60% Muslim, 23% Christian, 15% Aminist
- Size: 274,200 sq km¹
- Population: 17,812,961 – 26% of population is urban(+6.0%/yr)
- Per Capita Income: $1,400
COMPARED TO US
- Size (Colorado): 269,600 sq km
- Population (Florida): 19,570,261 – 79% of US population is urban²
- Per Capita Income of US: $49,800
LABOR FORCE BY OCCUPATION³:
- Agriculture: 90% – (cotton, livestock)
- Industry: NA – gold
- Services: NA
- Unemployment rate: 77% (2004)
COMPARED TO US
- Agriculture: 1.2%
- Industry: 19.1%
- Services: 79.7%
Life expectancy at birth: 55 years
Mortality: Infant 66/1000 live births (2012); Maternal 450/1000 live births (2010)
Literacy rate for young adults (ages 15-24): male NA female NA
Burkina Faso was occupied by France from 1898 to 1958, when it gained independence as the Republic of Upper Volta. Its name was changed to Burkina Faso in 1984. According to its constitution Burkina Faso is a republic with a president and a single legislative house. However, the current president, Blaise Compaoré, gained power by force in 1987 and has severely restricted political freedom.
¹Statistics are from The CIA Factbook.
³Statistics are from The CIA Factbook.
*Statistics are from the World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL
**Statistics are from the World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL